A girl from Mumbai’s Dharavi slum region died after unintentionally cleaning her teeth with rat poison in a horrifying event. Apsana Khan, an 18-year-old woman, was found dead. According to Mumbai police, the incident occurred on September 3 at around 10 a.m.
What happened on that particular day?
On that fateful Sunday morning, the girl, still groggy from the previous night’s sleep, unintentionally picked up a tube of rat poison cream kept next to the toothpaste and brushed her teeth with the lethal chemical paste. “We discovered that rat poison paste was kept near the toothpaste, so she mistakenly used it to brush her teeth,” one officer explained, adding, “While brushing, she realised she hadn’t used the toothpaste, so she promptly cleaned her mouth.”
However, she quickly realised her error and spit out the toxic mixture before washing her mouth. However, this began to impair her health, and she became dizzy. She first did not tell her family about the occurrence for fear of being chastised, which exacerbated the matter.
Later admitted to nearby hospital
Her mother later took her to a neighbouring hospital in Dharavi to get her medicines after she complained of stomach ache. “Despite taking medications, the girl continued to complain of stomach aches for three days, after which her mother approached her and questioned, and she told her that on September 3, she had unintentionally used rat poison paste for toothpaste,” a police officer stated.
Report filed for accidental death
Apsana died of poisoning, according to the medical report, and the Dharavi Police Station has taken a sample for forensic investigation. According to an official, the police recorded her family’s testimony about the occurrence and have filed an accidental death report, while an investigation is ongoing. The girl died of poisoning, according to the doctors in the report. In this situation, the police have filed an accidental death report.