spot_img
spot_img
Thursday, December 2, 2021
spot_img
spot_img

Latest Posts

Man dies after gulping 1.5L bottle of Coca-Cola in 10 minutes

spot_img
spot_img
- Advertisement -

A Chinese man allegedly died after chugging 1.5 litre of Coca-Cola in 10 minutes. The incident was explained in the journal “Clinics and Research in Hepatology and Gastroenterology”.

Massive consumption of Coca-Cola led to death

According to the Daily Mail reports, the 22years-old man’s massive consumption of Coca-Cola led to a fatal gas buildup in his body, because of which his liver starved of oxygen and eventually led to his death.

The man experienced a swollen stomach and severe pain six hours later after his consumption, after which he was sent to the Chaoyang Hospital in Beijing. The tests revealed that the patient – who had no underlying health issues – had an elevated heart rate, rapid breathing and low blood pressure. Doctors conducted a CT scan, in which it is found that he had pneumatosis, an abnormal presence of gas, in the wall of his intestine and his portal vein.

Man dies after 18 hours of treatment

As per the report, the scans also revealed hepatic ischemia, also known as “shock liver,” which is caused by a lack of oxygen to the organ. Meanwhile, the medical staff tried hard to save his life by releasing the gas from his digestive system. They also administered medication to help safeguard his liver and other body parts from further damage, the Daily Mail reported.

Despite doctors efforts, the man’s condition continued to worsen and later he passed away 18 hours after treatment. Some medical experts believed it highly improbable that the man died from a Coca-Cola over consumption.

What does biochemist have to say about the incident?

Professor Nathan Davies, a biochemist at University College London, told MailOnline “The chances of downing 1.5 litres, or a little over three pints, of a regular soft drink being fatal would be very, very unlikely, I mean, staggeringly unlikely”.

“It’s possible, but not necessarily likely, that drinking a large amount of carbonated drinks could have had an exacerbating effect,” he said. “But with no underlying condition it is very hard to see what could have happened”, the professor added.

Also Read: Rape survivor from Nagpur performs self-abortion by watching YouTube videos; Case filed against accused

Latest Posts

spot_imgspot_img

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.