The North Eastern Council (NEC) has announced the availability of NEC Merit Scholarships for the academic year 2021-2022.
Students from the North East (NE) who are pursuing studies in a variety of subjects at various levels in institutions both inside and outside the North East but inside the country can apply online.
North Eastern Council Scholarship Details
Name of scholarship: NEC Merit Scholarship
Academic year: 2021-22
Total no of scholarship: 1600
Awarding authority: North Eastern Council, Ministry of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Government of India, Shillong
Helpline: 0120 – 6619540
Email id: [email protected]
- Only students who are permanent residents of one of the North Eastern states are eligible for the scholarship.
- The scholarship will be offered to a selected student for the duration of the course, subject to the fulfilment of renewal conditions, as described in Paragraph 6 of these rules. Extensions of the scholarship beyond the specified study period will not be considered.
- The student must not be receiving any other scholarship or financial help at the time of applying for the scholarship. Working/in-service candidates, as well as sponsored candidates who are working full-time during their studies, are not eligible for the award.
- A student will only be considered for a scholarship in the year that his or her course begins. Only renewals will be permitted for the following year’s course.
- Scholarships will be awarded to students who enrol in Diploma, Degree, Post-graduate, or M.Phil. / Ph.D. programmes at any government-approved institution. Scholarships for M.Phil. and Ph.D. students will be awarded after the students have registered with the university. There will be no internships or practical training accessible through the Scholarship.
- Students whose parent or guardian’s annual income from all sources does not exceed Rs 8.0 lakh would be eligible for the award. The candidate must provide a copy of the income certificate issued by the appropriate authority.
For consideration of a scholarship, the student must meet the following eligibility conditions in the preceding qualifying examination:
- Course Level: Diploma
HSLC/ HSSLC/ Secondary School Leaving/ Senior Secondary Leaving certificate examination with least 60 percent aggregate marks from a recognised State/Central board.
- Course Level: Bachelor’s Degree
HSSLC/Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognised State/Central board with a minimum aggregate of 60%.
- Course Level: Post-Graduate
Degree level examination in any recognised Institute/ University in any discipline (BA/BSc/BE/B Tech/MBBS/LLB/BCA/BBA, etc.) with a minimum aggregate of 60%.
- Course level: M.Phil./Ph.D.
A PG degree from any recognised university with a minimum of 60% in the aggregate is required.
- According to the scheme criteria and after following the NSP procedure, merit lists will be drawn from among the final verified applicants.
- Students for M. Phil. and Ph. D. programmes will be chosen based on a research topic/synopsis that is relevant to problems/issues in the Northeast. M.Phil. and Ph.D. subjects/topics must always be directly, particularly, and currently relevant to the Northeast. In general, basic and theoretical research will not be favoured.
- The scholarship is awarded solely on the basis of merit. The merit list will be compiled only on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the qualifying exams, in accordance with the states’ level-of-course-wise slots.
- Diploma: Rs. 20,000 per annum
- Degree: Rs. 22,000 per annum
- Post Graduate: Rs. 25,000 per annum
- M.Phil/PhD: Rs. 30,000 per annum
Total number of Scholarships to be awarded
Each year, the number of Fresh Scholarships to be offered to candidates from various NER states at various levels may be as follows:
- Arunachal Pradesh: 209 (Diploma: 20, Bachelor’s Degree: 130, Master’s Degree: 52, M.Phil/Ph.D.: 7)
- Assam: 320 (Diploma: 30, Degree: 200, Post-Graduate Degree: 80, M.Phil/Ph.D.: 10)
- Manipur: 192 (Diploma: 18, Bachelor’s Degree: 120, Master’s Degree: 48, M.Phil/Ph.D.: 6)
- Meghalaya: 192 (Diploma: 18, Bachelor’s Degree: 120, Master’s Degree: 48, M.Phil/Ph.D.: 6)
- Mizoram: 192 (Diploma: 18, Bachelor’s Degree: 120, Master’s Degree: 48, M.Phil/Ph.D.: 6)
- Nagaland: 192 (Diploma: 18, Bachelor’s Degree: 120, Master’s Degree: 48, M.Phil/Ph.D.: 6)
- Sikkim: 111 (Diploma: 10, Bachelor’s Degree: 70, Master’s Degree: 28, M.Phil/Ph.D.: 3)
- Tripura: 192 (Diploma: 18, Degree: 120, Post-Graduate Degree: 48, M.Phil/Ph.D.: 6)
How to apply
To apply for this scholarship, candidates must go to the official national scholarship portal, https://scholarships.gov.in. To apply for this scholarship online, follow the steps given below:
- Go to the Important Web Links section by scrolling down.
- Click on the Online Application link. A new webpage will be opened.
- Click “New Registration”
- Fill up the relevant information in the portal and register.
- After completing the registration process, log in to the site and enter all necessary credentials and upload documents.
- When you’re finished, click “Submit” and print your application.
At the time of application, the applicant must have the following documents. He or she may be required to upload a scanned copy of these documents in accordance with the requirements or existing rules and standards.
- Permanent Residential Certificate (PRC) issued by Dy. Commissioners/Addl. Dy. Commissioners/Sub-divisional officers of civil sub-divisions in NE States, except in Sikkim, where Permanent Residents are issued Certificates of Identification (COI) by the respective Deputy Commissioner in the Government of Sikkim. Any other authority’s certificate will not be accepted. (Mandatory)
- The Competent Authority issued income certificate (Mandatory)
- Bank Account Passbook: The account must be in the applicant’s name (Optional)
- Details about the qualifying exams (Mandatory)
- In the case of M.Phil/Ph.D. candidates, a synopsis must be signed by the project guide / Director (Research) or any other official authorised by the Institute/University (Mandatory).
- Any other documents that the NSP guidelines may request.
- Starting date for online application submission: September 23, 2021
Last Date for online application submission: November 30, 2021